Are you looking for that natural remedy to avert unpleasant illnesses such as cold and flu? Then you should probably look into instant pot elderberry syrup. Instant pot elderberry syrup is a natural treatment or remedy for averting flu and colds.
When the cold and flu season is upon us, it is only logical to want some protection such as an immune booster to assist in warding off any illness. So, this should be a good reason to make some instant pot elderberry syrup.
Apart from the beneficial properties this instant pot elderberry offers, it also has this lovely taste to it. So, you won’t just be benefiting from its healthy features, you will as well enjoy the great taste of this syrup.
What Is Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup?
Instant pot elderberry syrup is an excellent antioxidant, an immune booster that is believed to be an effective treatment or remedy for warding off cold and flu.
This elderberry comes from the Sambucus tree that produces these dark purple berries. This elderberry tree is from the European elder tree and they are known as Sambucus nigra or black elder which is the most common tree from this family.
Benefits Of Using Elderberry Syrup
In all these beneficial properties of elderberry syrup, we still recommend you seek professional health advice on how to use this syrup.
So, below are the uses of instant pot elderberry syrup:
- Your immune system can be boosted when you use elderberry. For instance, you can boost your immune system when you have an ordinary cold or sinusitis, swine flu, influenza, or the H1N1 flu.
- Elderberry syrup can be used in the treatment of chronic fatigue.
- It can help with constipation.
- Elderberry syrup can help with high cholesterol.
- Nerve pain, as well as nerve pain, can be resolved with elderberry syrup.
- They have anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- To top it all, elderberry syrup is a great addition when it comes to adding flavor to your wine.
Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup: Making The Homemade Elderberry Syrup
It’s pretty easy making this instant pot elderberry syrup and the ingredient required for making this syrup is pretty easy to find.
Elderberry syrup that is homemade can be done using your instant pot or you can make it by using a pan on the stove. But some may prefer using instant pot because it seems much easier. So, for the purpose of this article, we will be looking into instant pot elderberry syrup.
So, the major ingredient required for making elderberry syrup includes dried elderberries, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, half a lemon, fresh ginger, filtered or bottled water, and raw honey.
Then the procedure to making that instant pot elderberry syrup is explained below:
- Inside your instant pot, add the dried elderberries, fresh ginger, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and half a lemon into the instant pot.
- Then add 4 cups of bottled water or filtered water.
- The instant pot should be closed with the valve in the “sealing” position and cook the mixture on manual pressure for 10 minutes.
- Next, a rapid pressure release should be done and take off the lid. Then set to “sauté.”
- Allow the mixture to boil for around 10 minutes until the liquid has been minimized by half of its original content.
- With the help of a filter or a strainer, pour the content through it and mash on the berries using a spatula until all the liquid is out.
- Then all the content to cool to around 115 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure the honey is not overheated when it’s added to it. Then stir it in 1 cup of raw honey.
- Then go ahead and store your syrup in a jar or bottle inside the fridge.
Side note: make sure you dispose of the strained berries once you’re done filtering. This isn’t because they aren’t ideal to consume in this state.
Extra tips to take note when making elderberry syrup
- Use raw honey as raw honey also has its own medicinal or healing properties.
- Always allow your elderberry syrup to cool a little before the addition of the raw honey. This is because the medicinal properties of raw honey can be rendered powerless at high temperatures. So, we recommend you allow the elderberry syrup to cool to at least 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can also make a slight adjustment to the flavors of your syrup while making it. Lemon, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves are mostly included in the elderberry syrup for their flavors. For instance, if you like the sharp sour taste from the addition of lemon, then you can add it to your syrup. However, if you prefer that sweet elderberry syrup, then you can decide to omit the addition of lemon.
Any Side Effect To Taking Elderberry Syrup?
Even though the extract of elderberries has not been shown to have a side effect yet, eating the main berries has been shown to cause some side effects. This side effect includes vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. The same side effects go for consuming the stems and leaves of elderberries.
So, for the reasons stated above, it is necessary you throw away or compost the berries you’ve strained or filtered out once you’re done making your syrup.
Instant pot elderberry syrup can be a helpful medicine for the treatment of cold and flu as well as other illness. In this article, we have looked into what instant elderberry syrup is, the benefits of using instant pot elderberry syrup, how to make one, and others.
Even though there are many benefits to instant pot elderberry syrup, we still advise you to check with your professional health care. This is particularly for pregnant or breastfeeding women that have concerns about the use of this syrup.
We do hope you have learned some things about this beneficial syrup. So, continue to keep your immune system boosted in a natural way with the help of elderberry syrup.
Does heat destroy elderberry syrup?
Although the immune supporting elements and some constituents in this syrup can tolerate heat, the anthocyanins and ascorbic acid, and other flavonoids may not however withstand heat.
Can you pressure can elderberry syrup?
You can pressure can your elderberry syrup but we recommend you use a pressure canner for your safety.
Is too much elderberry syrup bad for you?
Some health professionals believe it’s safe to consume elderberry syrup in a minimal dose. But consuming too much especially when it is made from unripe berries, can cause nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting.
How many days in a row can you take elderberry syrup?
If you are an adult and you need the syrup for flu remedy, use 15ml four times daily for 3 to 5 days.