Last Updated on July 13, 2022
Are you stuck with a pink eye? How about some coconut oil for a pure shine?
For some people having to confront a facial problem is not something they ever wish for, and if this is you, there is a high chance you take your face and body health seriously.
And while you can’t always predict when you will be faced with a pink eye, you can always find one natural approach to solving the problem. In the case of pink eyes, the go-to solution is coconut oil. Want to know how best to make use of it for improving your eye? You can learn more from the sections below.
Causes of Conjunctivitis
Conjunctivitis, which is the medical term used to refer to a pink eye, is a condition that can be caused by a number of factors. It is an irritation caused by an inflammation of the conjunctiva, the clear thin tissue covering the white part of the eye. It is common with children, but adults get it occasionally, too, as it is highly contagious.
Although it could put you in an uncomfortable situation, red-eye seldom leads to severe problems, especially when you identify and treat it immediately. Some of the leading causes of conjunctiva include:
- Parasites, fungi, and amoeba
- Viruses such as the one responsible for the common cold
- Irritants such as too much chlorine in the pool, smoke, dirt, and cosmetic products such as shampoo, eyeliners, and toxic powders.
- An allergic reaction to certain eye drops or contact lenses could put you at risk of pink eyes.
Now that you know some of the causes of the conjunctiva, the next step will discuss some of the prevalent pink eye symptoms.
Symptoms of Pink Eye
Well, you can quickly tell by looking into the mirror, but other signs could point to the possibility of mild or severe conjunctiva. The pink eye’s main cause could significantly influence the symptoms you feel, but some of the things you want to watch out for include.
- Redness in the white part of the eye, and they could be in the form of blood spots around the inner eyelid.
- Swollen conjunctiva that itches so bad you can’t keep your hands off.
- Thick yellowish discharge from the eyelids common when you wake up in the morning.
- White or green discharge from the eye.
- Itchy eyes even after washing the face several times.
- Burning sensation in the eyes that threatens to close to shut.
- Blurred vision or difficulties with seeing as a result of redness in the eyes.
- Extreme sensitivity to light
- Swollen lymph nodes, which are mainly caused by a viral infection.
Coconut Oil for Pink Eye Natural Remedy
Of course, you must have heard that coconut oil plays a significant role in skin and beauty while also being a good source of organic nutrition for the body. But it will also interest you to know that it could also offer positive solutions to the conjunctiva and other irritations in the eye.
There have been numerous applications of coconut oil in eye care. One of them is reducing the effect of inflammation and dryness of the eyes. While there is no prescribed medication for pink eyes other than the use of drops to clear out the irritation, you could also try a simple coconut oil treatment that has proved useful over the years.
Read more about How to Treat Acne Using Essential Oils?
How to Use Coconut Oil For Pink Eye
All you need is coconut oil, preferably virgin or pure options, as they are free from additional contamination during processing. You will also have to make available cotton balls or a soft cloth to help apply the oil to the eyes. You can equally find people who are comfortable drinking a tablespoon or two to relieve the symptoms, but it wouldn’t hurt to combine several methods.
To use, dampen the cloth or cotton ball in coconut oil and hold it firmly against the affected eye. You could choose to warm things up a little and dip the cloth or cotton ball in warm water first, but you want to be careful not to scald your eyelid. You should also avoid using direct pressure to the eyeball as it could strain your vision, leading to other problems.
Caring for your eye includes avoiding the use of sharp objects and keeping dirt from coming in contact with your optic nerves. While there are numerous reasons why you may suffer conjunctiva, there are ways to get rid of pink eyes, and the use of coconut oil remains one of the safest and trusted.