Last Updated on June 11, 2022
My burning Summer Question: Is my Aloe Vera Gel for Hair still good?
We are officially in the throes of Summer. If you are like me, you still have the same old bottle of aloe vera from 5 years ago that I use for getting my beach hair back in shape. So here’s a query: Does aloe vera gel for hair expire and if so, how do you store aloe vera gel for hair?
What is Raw Aloe Vera?
So let’s dive into what aloe vera actually is besides that ooey gooey green stuff stored under your sink. Aloe vera, also known as lily of the desert, comes from a succulent plant that lives in tropical climates. According to the National Institute of Health (NIH),
- Aloe has 2 components, gel and latex.
- The latex, found right under the leaf skin, is used orally for constipation.
- The gel, found deeper in the leaf, is used topically for multiple skin conditions.
- Raw aloe vera is what oozes from the plant when you break off a leaf.
Benefits of Aloe Vera for Hair
You are probably familiar with aloe use on skin for burns, but did you know aloe has benefits for your hair too? The plant’s enzymes, polysaccharides, vitamins and minerals may have a lot to offer.
- Aloe is moisturizing so using it as a conditioner can possibly help dried out hair.
- Given the soothing properties aloe has on body skin, the scalp is thought to benefit from its calming effects too.
- There actually may be anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties to aloe that could lessen dandruff.
- If hair loss is related to irritated skin and that skin is healing, then that may allow for hair regrowth.
How to use Aloe vera gel for Hair Growth
How You Can Store your Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe can lose its potency and how you store it matters.
- Obviously, raw gel straight from the leaf is the purest form and has no preservatives so it will lose its effectiveness quickly, basically when it dries out.
- NDTV suggests making raw gel last longer by mixing it with Vitamin E, Vitamin C, or honey and placing it in the fridge for a shelf life of a month or more.
- If you have bought aloe pre-packaged in a bottle, then there are preservatives and an expiration date that is about 2 years in length.
- The key is making the aloe you choose last is keeping it out of conditions that will warm it up or dry it out.
Haven’t tried it before? This well-reviewed product can be used from head to toe,
The last word on Aloe
- Aloe is a mighty plant packed with lots of nutrients.
- Aloe has many uses that go beyond sunburns.
- Raw aloe is easily accessible if you have access to a plant but must be used immediately.
- Pre-packaged aloe has a shelf life of about 2 years stored in the right conditions.
Let us know what your favorite aloe product is and how it has been helpful for you. Just don’t forget where you put it!
Barbara is an environmental activist and sustainability advocate who loves living green and sustainable. She firmly believes in reducing her carbon footprint and has been making great strides towards achieving this goal. Barbara is a vegan and avid recycler and has been actively involved in community gardens and other green initiatives. She is passionate about spreading awareness about the importance of living in a sustainable and eco–friendly manner. Barbara is always looking for ways to make a difference in her community and beyond. She is a huge advocate for preserving nature and the planet for future generations.